Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Scottsdale, Arizona
The sad truth is that motorcycle drivers don’t always get a fair shake in accident cases. Along with judging bikers as reckless or irresponsible, people fail to consider how the actions of car and truck drivers can put motorcyclists at risk. Because injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents are often severe, victims need to take steps to protect their rights and ensure they get the compensation they need. Keep reading to learn how a Scottsdale motorcycle accident attorney can help you secure the compensation you need and deserve.
Why Hire an Attorney for Your Motorcycle Accident Case
The aftermath of any accident can be tumultuous and frightening. Although your instinct might be to deal with your insurance company directly, the fact is that crashes involving motorcycles tend to result in severe injuries and high medical bills. For this reason, many accident victims opt to hire a personal injury attorney to support them through the process. Here are some of the ways in which an experienced lawyer can help you after a crash:
- Identifying cause: A wide range of factors can lead to a motorcycle accident. Along with weather conditions like rain and snow, motorcycle crashes can result from potholes, sand, uneven roads, gravel, and visibility issues. Additionally, many accidents are caused by driver error or negligence. A motorcyclist may be injured when a driver stops short or opens the door of a parked car. Additionally, bikers can be seriously hurt if someone is driving a car under the influence of drugs and alcohol. When you hire an attorney with motorcycle accident expertise, you can count on them to determine liability so there are no surprises down the line.
- Negotiate with insurance. Personal injury attorneys also play a key role in negotiating with insurance companies. The fact is that most providers will try to work out a settlement with you that’s in their best interest. Unfortunately, this deal may not cover all your medical expenses or any lost wages you suffer as a result of the crash. Instead of accepting a first offer, accident victims are encouraged to allow their attorney to negotiate on their behalf. The goal is to get you the money you rightfully deserve. Additionally, a skilled attorney will ensure that insurance company representatives don’t manipulate you into admitting partial or full liability for your accident.
- Manage perceptions: In the event that your motorcycle accident case goes to trial, you may find yourself facing premature judgements from the judge and jury. This is because many people view motorcyclists as careless drivers who take too many risks on the road. One of the benefits of hiring an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer is that they can correct these false impressions and ensure you get the compensation that’s owed you. By collecting driving records from you and any other parties involved, and presenting witness testimony and evidence from the accident, your attorney can manage perceptions in court and protect your rights.
Motorcycle Accident Damages
Motorcycle accident victims often face steep medical bills, along with lengthy recoveries during which it can be hard to earn a living or enjoy life. For this reason, someone involved in a motorcycle crash may be entitled to significant compensation. Typically, there are two types of damages awarded in personal injury cases: damages capable of exact calculation (also known as special damages) and damages not capable of exact calculation.
- Damages capable of exact calculation: In a motorcycle accident case, special damages generally refer to the plaintiff’s past, present, and future lost earnings and earning capacity. Along with salary, this figure may include employee benefits along with medical bills and other financial losses the individual is facing as a direct result of the incident. In most cases, special damages will be calculated to the dollar.
- Damages not capable of exact calculation: On the other hand, some damages from a motorcycle accident are more subjective. For example, the pain and suffering endured as a result of an accident can’t be quantified in exact terms. If your case goes to trial, the judge will likely instruct the jury to use their “good sense” when assessing how much compensation you deserve for your physical and emotional distress. A knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney can argue your case and negotiate a fair settlement while you focus on what matters: recovering from your injuries and getting back to living your life.
Speak to a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
Motorcycle accident victims have a lot stacked against them. Fortunately, the right attorney can minimize the financial devastation that results from your accident while helping you get the compensation you deserve. We’ll argue tirelessly on your behalf while representing your interests to insurance companies and opposing counsel. For more information on how we can help, contact us today!